This one is a real winner in the foodie experience department!
I’m always looking to ‘kick it up another notch’ when it comes to old favorite side recipes like mashed potatoes. In the last couple of years, the hot thing to do with them was to bake “smashed” potatoes which was fun but it didn’t do much for me with regard to taste. It was cute; visually pleasing for the trend but still fell flat when it came to eating. Most of the time, I look for recipes I can make ahead for holiday fare so that the work load is less on the actually day! This one suited me well for that. I also loved the creative avenue it opens, leaving me to indulge and explore ideas with the versatile potato.
Here is the basic recipe…Feel free to create and go nuts with this one….Make it YOURS!
3 pounds of Russet potatoes (you can peel them, but I love to leave the skin on), cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups of whole milk or cream (again, it’s up to you but I really like to include plain Greek Yogurt for that tangy protein element)
6 cloves of garlic, minced (go copious!)
1/2 stick of butter
8 ounces of Mascarpone cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, if you are going to bake it after assembling…
1. Place diced potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
2. Add salt and bring to a boil, cooking until the pieces are fork-tender.
3. Drain well and then mash the potatoes.
4. Add in the milk/cream/Greek yogurt combination, garlic and butter; mixing well.
5. Fold in the Mascarpone cheese and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
6. Bake until the potatoes brown nicely on top; about 45 minutes or so…
Of note, half the recipe when preparing this dish for just two people (as is the case in my home). Get frisky with this recipe! I’ve been known to incorporate parsley, bacon bits, chives, a 6-cheese Italian blend of cheese (yes, as well as the Mascarpone) or top the mixture with smoked Gouda cheese slices. This recipe is so flexible that the only limits are in your creative mind! Have fun with this one and delight your loved ones!