Just in time for March! Corned Beef and cabbage is always a favorite for this time of year but to put a little different spin, try having Braised Polish sausage with your cabbage instead of corned beef! This is a very cheap,simple and quick meal to prepare anytime!
2 lbs Polish Sausage; precooked
2 Tbsp butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of white wine or beef broth
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 Red onion, sliced
1 small cabbage, quartered
1 tsp mixed Italian herbs or Herbs D’ Provence
Puttin’ It Together:
1. Pierce the sausages to prevent them from bursting while they are cooking or cut them into three-inch lengths
2. Heat the butter in a heavy, deep skillet.
3. Brown the sausages over medium to high heat; turning occasionally
4. Add in the garlic and onions; lightly brown…
5. Pour in the wine/broth and vinegar and herbs.
6. Layer the cabbage quarters over the sausages.
7. Bring the liquids to a boil; then, reduce to a simmer and cook the sausages and cabbage until the cabbage is tender crisp (about 15 minutes)
8. Serve with your favorite spicy mustard: Dijon, German-style, etc…
A nice crisp, fresh salad and crusty bread make tasty accompaniments to this dish.
* I like to add in extra Oregano and Basil to the seasonings.
* Even though this recipe suggest Polish Sausage; any sausage can be used.