Meatloaf. What can you say about it? It’s a very versatile dish with a recipe that can be changed up with a variety of twists! In this case, I love to include as many healthy vegetables as I can to this loaf without over powering it. Of course, the crowning glory to meatloaf for me is topping the loaf with par-cooked bacon and a nice gourmet flavor of ketchup before baking it.
What Goes Into This Loaf?
3 to 4 strips of bacon, par-cooked
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup of shoestring carrots
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 steel cut oats
1/2 cup grated or shredded cheese of choice
1 cup of ketcup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine meat, seasonings and vegetables together in a bowl.
3. Incorporate in the bread crumbs, oats and egg, mixing thoroughly.
4. Roll the entire mixture into an oiled loaf pan, shaping into a nice loaf.
5. Top the loaf with the bacon strips and spread a nice layer of ketchup over the top.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes or until the meatloaf is nicely browned on top.
7. Remove from the oven, cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes.